Friday, December 24, 2010

Women Only

Recently the team that put together Zenyatta's career created a separate lounge area for women. I don't get it. Why do women want to be separate from men in a world where we have been fighting to be with them in work and play and considered their equals? We fought to not be excluded and now we wish to exclude to feel "safe."

Are we still so backward that we need a separate place for women to feel safe? What are we? Saudi Arabia? Sure there are men that are not exactly the safest to be around. There are some women that are not safe to be around, but the majority of men are good men. Why would we want to exclude good men from our conversations and lives? Why do we need to feel "safe" from them? Aren't they our friends?

If men created a "men's only" lounge women would be getting court orders to be able to use the that lounge. If women want to exclude men it's ok. I don't get the double standard. How can we be equal with a double standard? Double standards create nothing but resentment and mistrust.

I am involved in a world that is very male dominated (off roading) and have frequently been the only woman for miles, and out of cell phone range, I have never felt I needed a "safe" place or a need to "separate" from the men I was around. If I separated myself I would not have learned all that I needed to know to be successful on the trail. I would have separated myself from a lot of valuable information and a lot of priceless friendship.

If I want to be considered equal, I must not make myself separate. If I want trust and understanding, I must be there to show who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment